Keep healthy, keep smiling, keep up with your healthy mouth reviews!
The key to a healthy smile is looking after your teeth and gums properly, and this means regular visits to the dentist and hygienist. We understand it’s not the most exciting trip ever, but it is key to maintaining good general health and wellness. Healthy gums in particular can benefit the whole body by reducing the risk of a heart attack, diabetes, strokes and having a preterm baby.
Unfortunately gum disease is on the increase in the UK with over 80% of adults being diagnosed with some level of gum disease. If left untreated it can irreversibly affect the bone surrounding the tooth and in severe cases, the bone decreases so much, teeth become loose and can eventually fall out.
At The Exeter Dental Centre we’re all about helping you to maintain good oral health care routines to keep you well. We have a lovely team of dentists, dental hygienists and dental nurses, alongside Devon’s only specialist periodontist to help patients with the more challenging aspects of severe gum disease.
Our tips for maintaining a healthy smile:
- Brush your teeth for 2 minutes twice a day with a fluoride toothpaste
- Spit out any excess toothpaste, do not rinse your mouth as this will leave a small but protective residue of toothpaste
- Clean once a day (at least) the spaces between your teeth using floss or interdental brushes. We can advise on the best ones for you
- Keep sugary foods and snacks to a minimum, preferably eaten at meal times. It is the frequency and length of time that sugar contacts your teeth that causes decay. i.e. one packet of sweets eaten all at once is better than spreading them out over an afternoon
- Limit your intake of fizzy drinks, fruit juice and smoothies. All are very acidic which can dissolve healthy enamel over time and cause decay
- Water is healthy and perfectly safe for your teeth
- Help your children with daily brushing until about 6 years of age
- For more top tips on helping your children, visit
Keen To Know More?
Talk to our passionate dentists and hygienists at your next appointment for all their best nuggets on cleaning your teeth effectively, what electric toothbrush to buy, what tepees to use, how to use floss properly and much much more! Or Visit our page on Hygiene Therapy, your gums are the foundations of your entire mouth!